A list of services I provide as well as their rates. All prices are in USD. Sorry, I do not accept cryptocurrencies.
Keynotes & Seminars
My fee begins at $10,000 USD plus reasonable expenses for an in-person appearance. If this number exceeds your budget, then I understand and wish you the best of luck in your search for a speaker.
For professional speakers, pricing is more of an art than a science. There’s simply no magic formula to determine how much to charge for a talk, seminar, or workshop. That doesn’t mean, however, that I just pick a number out of a hat or random number generator.
Against that backdrop and in no particular order, here are some general rules of thumb that I use when quoting my speaking services. Note that all of these include the proviso “all else being equal.”
- Number of attendees: This is quite simple. I charge more for speaking to large groups than when I speak to smaller ones.
- Type of attendees: I charge more for speaking to groups of senior executives than when I speak to non-execs.
- Length of talk or seminar: Again, this isn’t rocket surgery. I charge more for a 60-minute keynote than a 30-minute one. Ditto for a two-day seminar vs. a half-day one.
- Type of talk: I charge more for keynoting than I do for a breakout session.
- Location / Travel: The closer the event is to my home in Arizona, the less I will charge.
- Specificity: I charge less for a generic talk than I do for a very esoteric one. For instance, a talk in which I provide an overview of The Age of the Platform differs from one on how telecom companies can embrace platform thinking.
- Previous talks: I’m a data guy. I use fees from my previous talks as rough proxies for future talks.
- Timing: You can lock me in at a lower rate by reserving me five or six months in advance. Put differently, I’m more likely to quote a higher fee if the engagement takes place relatively soon.
- Nature of organization / ability to pay: Government agencies and nonprofits often lack the same funds and resources as for-profit corporations. I charge more for speaking at events and conferences held by the latter.
- Book purchases: I charge less for my talk if the hosting organization or event sponsor buys copies of my books. Note, though, that the total cost of the engagement may be higher.
- Market / comparable speakers: This is Compensation 101. I follow what other professional speakers in my cohort routinely charge.
- Year: I charge more for my talks than I did five years ago. I suspect that the same will be true five years from now.
- Topic: On certain subjects, I possess a unique and particularly valuable perspective. Examples include analytics, communication, data visualization, communication, platforms, disruption, publishing, IT project failures, and Big Data. On others such as social media, there’s no shortage of cogent speakers, not to mention plenty of snake oil salesmen.
- Advance notice: Last-minute bookings typically require me to rearrange previous client commitments. A three- or four-month window makes it easier for me to handle everything else.
It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it.
Full-length blog post on my site or yours
Up to 500 words on a mutually acceptable topic on your site or mine. If on my site, a sponsor note and link will follow the post.
Longer blog post
Up to 1,000 words on a mutually acceptable topic for your site or mine. If on my site, a sponsor note and link will follow the post.
This depends upon what you have in mind. Factors such as word count, timeline, and subject drive how much I charge here.
Up to 3,000 words on a mutually acceptable topic. This can be attributed to me or ghost written.
All content includes a reasonable level of social-media support the client if desires it.
Webinar (60 minutes)
I’ll lead a discussion on whatever topic you like. I’m happy to answer questions afterward as well. Includes a reasonable level of social media support and mentions on my website.
Webinar (30 minutes)
I’ll lead a shorter discussion on whatever topic you like. I’m happy to answer questions afterward as well. Includes a reasonable level of social media support and mentions on my website.
One hour of remote coaching
I will record the discussion on Skype and you can watch it as many times as you like.
Consulting (daily rate)
Note that I bill my clients on a net-30 basis, but I prefer working under a retainer arrangement. I’ve been doing this long enough to know that billing issues occur from time to time, and a retainer helps me mitigate them.
$2,400 plus all reasonable travel expenses
Custom help in a number of areas.
An honest evaluation of what you’re trying to convey to others with suggestions for improvement.
I’ll host a Tweetchat for your company, conference, or event for an hour. Includes a reasonable level of social media support and mentions on my website.
I’ll participate in a one-hour Tweetchat for your company, conference, or event. Includes a reasonable level of social-media support and mentions on my website.
All content includes a reasonable level of social-media support if my client would like it.