Slack For Dummies 🔜
The definitive guide on the collaboration tool that’s transforming how we work.
About the Book
A brief summary of Slack For Dummies.
Publication date: April, 2020
Say goodbye to the old, inefficient way of working.
Have you ever wondered what it would feel like to be less overwhelmed and more efficient at work? More specifically, imagine the following:
- Never receiving another irrelevant mass email or being CC’d on a mind-numbing 30-email thread
- Quickly and easily locating key documents and conversations
- Employees at your organization were more engaged
- Working in an environment in which collaboration and communication didn’t resemble Office Space
- How much your organization would benefit from a single and secure knowledge repository
- Regaining control of your professional life
Every day, more than 12 million employees don’t have to imagine this alternate reality. They live in it. By using a remarkably useful, intuitive, flexible, popular, and affordable and tool called Slack, they have fundamentally changed how they work.
Slack’s corporate mission is to change where work happens. In tens of thousands of cases, it has succeeded—often in unexpected ways. Rare is the employee who wants to return to a pre-Slack worklife.
But how do you get started?
Slack For Dummies is a full-color, approachable, and comprehensive text with one goal: to help you understand how to use Slack to make your work life better. This easy-to-use reference guide shows you how to:
- Navigate Slack’s user interface and understand its key features
- Guide you through the process of creating workspaces, channels, and threads
- Provide additional context to group and individual messages and, in the process, reduce employee cognitive load
- Extend the power of native Slack with valuable third-party apps and integrations such as Dropbox, GoogleDrive, Outlook, Trello, and more
Slack For Dummies is an informative and highly readable resource that will change the way that you communicate and collaborate with your colleagues—for the better and for good. Once you go Slack, you’ll never go back.
Update: November 6, 2019
Slack CTO Cal Henderson will be penning the book’s foreword.
Book Trailer 🔜
A 90-second video on Slack For Dummies.
- Manuscript Progress (updated Oct. 17, 2019) 100% 100%
Updates on the book's writing and publication status.
October 24, 2019: Wiley should be able to move up the publication date by about two months. 🥂
October 17, 2019: I have completed the manuscript. 🍺 Let the editing begin.
October 14, 2019: I recently completed the chapters on search and privacy/security. I’m rolling.
October 8, 2019: 70,000 words. Chugging away.
September 25, 2019: 63,000 words.
September 25, 2019: 60,000 words. Boom.
September 15, 2019: Nearing 50,000 words in a manuscript that I suspect will reach 70,000.
September 15, 2019: Taking advantage of the heat; major progress on the manuscript this weekend.
September 13, 2019: Insomnia can be a wonderful thing. Phil: 1, Chapter 13: 0.
September 12, 2019: Just kicked the shit out of Chapter 10. Flow is a wonderful thing.
Related Blog Posts
Longer-form musings on the book, the tool, and the problems they both solve.