The Power of Contemporary Platforms
Understanding the most important and powerful business model of the millennium.
Previous audiences: Executive retreats, keynotes to annual conferences, and conference breakout sessions
What can your organization learn from Amazon, Apple, Facebook, and Google?
Amazon, Apple, Facebook, and Google are extremely successful for many reasons, but make no mistake: their underlying business model is at the top of the list. Each embraced platform thinking and has made billions of dollars in the process. Fortunately, there’s a great deal that every organization can learn from “the Gang of Four.”
In my most requested talk, I draw upon lessons from my award-winning book The Age of the Platform: How Amazon, Apple, Facebook, and Google Have Redefined Business. I answer the following questions and more:
- Beyond perhaps the most pervasive buzzword in the business lexicon today, just what is a platform anyway?
- What are planks, anyway? How do they extend the power of platforms?
- What’s all of this hubbub about ecosystems?
- How can application programming interfaces (APIs) and software development kits (SDKs) attract external developers and ultimately fuel innovation?
- What are the greatest benefits of—and downsides to—platform thinking?
- Other than “the Gang of Four”, which new platforms are potentially the most powerful?
- Why are frenemies here to stay?
To see all of my recorded talks on platforms, click here.